3D-print something useful (extra credit for parametric stuff)
Rhinoceros 6 + Grasshopper
Raise N2 (3D printer)
As an architect I have a lot of stuff for drawing and writing (liners, pens, pencils etc.), and I am always in need for pencil stands to fit all of it. I decided to take a chance and 3Dprint one more stand for myself.
To make it more fun and avoid boring design, the decision was made to make it in parametric style.
First, I started with sketching textures and shapes:
The second step (and the most difficult one, I have to say) was making an algorithm in Grasshopper. After coping with some struggles (obviously, with some external help :P), I managed to get the algorithm right. Here it is:
To make the model fit 3Dprinting requirements, I had to make a few manipulations in Rhino to cap the remaining holes in the model. After that, the final model for printing was like this:
I started with an idea to make something simple and at the same time functional. Thus, I decided to make an iPhone stand, which could be useful on daily basis.
I sketched a laconic design consisted of 3 pieces. The angle of the main surface provides convenient usage of the device. It is easier to type, scroll and swipe through content and, last but not least, enables to unlock your phone through face ID without picking it up.
Further, I made a precise drawing of the stand in Rhino 5, which is compatible with a software for laser cutting machine (LaserWorks).
After cutting out the whole thing and trying to assemble it, I found out that press-fit joints are not tight. Apparently, this happened because of the machine’s possible errors. Gaps should have been smaller, while reply part, conversely, wider. Because I did them equal, I had to use a glue to fix this mistake.
↑↑↑(Btw, the ‘less is more’ logo is quite important here – it represents the whole concept :D)
Eventually, I managed to get it all together and there it is in use!
To construct the highest tower possible using press-fit technology with following limitations:
Only three types of elements are available, each not bigger than 150mm x 150mm.
The size of the plywood sheet available for cutting is 900mm x 600mm.
Software / Materials
To develop a design we started by sketching our ideas, at first each member of the team proposed a design. From the three of them we choose the one we thought it was going to be the tallest and the most stable.
After having the design on paper we took it to a drawing software in order to make the design more precise.
During the production of pieces we faced a problem:
It took us some time to adjust the laser itself for a precise cut. We changed the speed and the power of the machine a few times, but still, we weren’t satisfied with the result. Only after adjusting the focus of the laser we managed to get a fine incision without burning plywood.
For joints we left the space of 3mm, while the width of the material was 3,9 mm. This made or joints quite tight, but we had to widen some gaps with a rasp and attach them with a help of a small hammer.
We managed to make our tower as high as the ceiling height in our lab. But, unfortunately, it was standing only because the construction abutted the ceiling.
That is why the design of the tower deviated from the original plan during construction.
In the basement we changed 45-degree trotters to 90-degree and connected them at the bottom. This solution gave our tower more height in the basement part and, of course, more stability. In the upper part we managed to balance it with a square element. It was still leaning to the side but stood properly.
At the end, even though it was not as high as the first variant, we managed to get more or less stable construction.